The 36th edition of the International Wine Challenge competition distinguished 680 Portuguese wines with 46 gold medals, 159 silver medals and 280 bronze medals. Among the 46 wines awarded with gold medals, 8 also received Trophies, the highest distinction of the competition.
Justino's Madeira Terrantez 1978 was awarded 98/100 points, the highest score in the competition.
Portugual also cemented its place as the finest producer of fortified wine by securing 38 Gold medals in the category, 31 of which were from Porto. Behind them in the Fortified Wine category was Spain with 27 Gold medals, Australia with 9 Golds and Italy with 2.
Check out the full list of winners here.
List of Portuguese wines awarded with Trophy in IWC2019:
- Valados de Melgaço Alvarinho Reserva, 2017
- Bulas Porto Colheita, 1996
- Casa Ferreirinha Papa Figos Red, 2017
- Sandeman Porto Tawny 40 Years Old, NV
- DR Very Old White Port, NV
- Bulas Very Old Tawny, NV
- Quinta dos Muros Vintage, 2016
- Justino's Madeira Terrantez, 1978.